2 people uses this project
SPEBS (System for Performance Evaluation of Broadband connections) is a system for monitoring and evaluation of broadband connections (xDSL services). SPEBS helps consumers to measure the performance of their residential broadband connection (xDSL), using the Measurement Lab (http://www.measurementlab.net) infrastructure that utilizes open source tools, such as NDT and Glasnost, and access statistical information regarding the quality of broadband connections within different areas of the country, using Google Maps. Registered users contribute to the development of the broadband map by pinpointing their connection on the map and declaring their connection details (e.g. ISP, headline speed). Registered users gain access to personalized performance statistics and historical measurement results. The broadband performance indicators measured are Throughput in upload & download directions, packet loss, round trip time (delay) and variance (jitter). The Hellenic Telecommunications and Post Commission (EETT) recently launched a trial program for the new web app (BETA version): http://test.broadband.gr/
* Uses well known tools from the measurement lab to enable end users to make measurements on their broadband connections
* Provides a complete web site experience where users can register, make measurements and store their results for future reference
* Collects and stores measurement results and provides personalized and overall statistics in text or graphical form (e.g. diagrams)
* Presents results in a user friendly interface based on Google Maps using balloons, polygons, etc.
* Can organize statistics by other traits such as subscriber ISP, purchased bandwidth, etc
* Further develop the application to provide better statistical presentation of the collected measurements results.
* Integrate Glasnost measurement tool.
You may download and deploy the software on your own servers and/or contribute with new features and bug fixes. Please let us know about your work.
Public administration reference
SPEBS was conceived and is supported by the Hellenic Telecommunications and Post Commission (EETT). SPEBS is developed by the Institute of Communications and Computer Systems (ICCS - http://www.iccs.gr/), under contract with the EETT.
- Source repository:
- SVN Directory:
- Communications, Research and Intellectual Property, Social Questions
- networking, web
- Development status:
- Intended audience:
- Developers, Other Audience
- BSD License 2.0, GNU General Public License (GPL) 2.0, GNU General Public License (GPL) 3.0, MIT License
- Programming language:
- Java, Perl, PHP