This presentation was made at the EC final workshop of the Application Programming Interfaces for Governments (APIs4DGov) study that took place in videoconference on the 3rd April 2020.
The presentation is an overview overview of the APIs4DGov study*, focussing on the following topics related to the API adoption in governments:
- The methodology adopted within the study
- The importance of the adoption
- The state of play (trends, cases and best practices)
- The internal (efficiency gains and open data access improvement) and external (fostering innovation, enablement of digital ecosystems and economic opportunities) benefits
- The costs (implementing a whole of government platform, reengineering existing systems towards APIs, cultural change) and challenges (adhere to legislation, improve the policy understanding and support)
- A proposed API framework for governments
- The thematic areas and technologies where the adoption of APIs can have a major impact
- The list of outputs of the project
*This is a presentation of the final policy report of the project.