Usually during the school year teachers prepare lessons of educational nature regarding the internet safety for their students; however there is a lack of such activities in the informal environment though they provide the opportunity to portray the principles of safe behaviour more flexibly and in a more fun manner. The interactive activities in summer camps were prepared to provide valuable information to children and youngsters and help them develop skills to safely use their smart devices; to draw their attention to internet safety and etiquette.
Description of target users and groups
This project targeted only children (10-16 years old). As the project was implemented during the summer it was easier to reach children by visiting summer camps as they are gathered there to participate in various activities and one of those activities can by an event about safe behaviour on the internet.
There were children with different backgrounds as the team visited not only summer camps, but also foster homes to spread information there as well. It was not planned to host these event to children from foreign countries, but during a couple of summer camp visits, there were children from Ukraine at the summer camp, who also participated in the event activities.
Description of the way to implement the initiative
To make the learning as fun as possible the activities are divided into 3 parts:
1. Lecture on safer use of smart phones and avoiding cyber-bullying. Children are provided simple yet effective tips on how to protect their smart devices and themselves in cyberspace.
2. Information area where campers interactively communicate with project representatives. In this area youngsters have a possibility to test their behaviour on the internet, to ask concerning questions, to collect educational materials and win project souvenirs.
3. Brain battle during which participants are divided into groups and actively compete answering general and IT related questions.
Project team actively participate in all the activities and spread the idea of safer internet while communicating with children. After the brain battle rewards and awards are given to the best teams.
Main results, benefits and impacts
Project objectives were:
- visit 10 summer camps for children
- during visits meet at least 500 children
- spread information about internet safety, smartphone safety, etiquette on the web, dangers that lurk online
- educate children using fun activities (quizzes, brain battle, and personal interaction)
All of them were reached.
Children were very happy with the event as they have learnt about online safety while having fun during different activities.