Accessibility Monitor Belgium

Published on: 12/03/2008
Are Belgian websites accessible? While earlier studies show that a lot needs to be done to make governmental websites accessible in Belgium, no figures exist about the average accessibility of websites in Belgium. The Accessibility-Monitor-Belgium is an instrument developed by Anysurfer and K-point. The Accessibility monitor uses the QuickScan procedure to screen websites and determine the (in-) accessibility. The scan consists of 14 important and generally accepted criteria for accessibility. To pass the Quickscan, a website should meet 11 of the 14 criteria. The Accessibility monitor 2007 showed that 96% of the websites in Belgium are not accessible.

Description of target users and groups

Belgium websites

Description of the way to implement the initiative

Anysufer ( is the Belgian quality label for accessible websites. K-point ( is the research centre for eInclusion of the KHKempen a partner in KULeuven university Association. 65 ICT students of the KHKempen performed the Accessibility Monitor. This was part of an assignment for the course “Web applications, web design and communication”. The students first received an introduction course on accessibility. 228 websites were picked out of the Metriweb list. Metriweb is an instrument of CIM (Centre for information on Media) that provides independent figures on website visits. The list is a good representation of websites in Belgium.

Main results, benefits and impacts

The results of the screening showed that 96% of the websites were not accessible. Further screening is needed to determine if the remaining 4% are really accessible. The Accessibility Monitor Belgium will continue to monitor the accessibility of websites in Belgium. Students from other universities will be invited to join. This will serve 3 purposes: - The Accessibility Monitor will keep the problem of inaccessible websites on the agenda. - The Accessibility-Monitor will be more representative as more websites will be scanned. - More ICT students will understand the importance of accessibility.

Return on investment

Return on investment: Not applicable / Not available

Lessons learnt

Lesson 1 - Website Accessibility is very poor in Belgium, as it is in the rest of Europe. Lesson 2 - Website builders need to be informed about the benefits of accessible websites. The return on investment of an accessible website is higher then on non-accessible websites. Lesson 3 - Integrating ICT students in a project on accessible websites is a good way to prepare for the future: the next generation web builders will pay more attention to accessibility when starting the development of new ICT projects. Scope: National