The Pharmaclick kiosk allows all citizens, particularly those living in remote areas, where the maintenance of a real pharmacy is not economically/ practically viable, to receive medicinal products through the use of their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Pharmaclick provides medicine dispensation services through the use of specifically designed â€œPharmaclick-pointsâ€ (Pininfarina design) which include automatic storage for main prescriptions, a videoconference device, a scanning device to read prescriptions and collect them for reimbursement. All services are activated by a smart card providing citizen data and security keys. The service allows also the payment using cash or credit/debit cards.
Description of target users and groups
Pharmacists, Local Municipalities, Patients living in disadvantaged areas (rural areas, mountain villages, small islands).
Description of the way to implement the initiative
Infopharma meetings are specific workshops created with the following key objectives:
- to establish the Pharmaclick INFOPHARMA European Community in each country
- to analyze the potential of Pharmaclick with sources of leading expertises in each country
- to evaluate the interest and perception in Pharmaclick through the direct involvement of direct users
- to demonstrate the usefulness of Pharmaclick tools and methods, in order to increase the innovative capacities within local health care environments
- to encourage pharmacists communities and health care management organizations to implement Pharmaclick tools and methods
- to analyze the different legislative frameworks in order to make comparative evaluation at EU level
Technology choice: Proprietary technology
Main results, benefits and impacts
The aim of the Pharmaclick project is to take the first steps into the market in order to make the idea of remote pharmaceutical support a reality. Based on users' demand and market potential, Pharmaclick gives 24-hour availability through continuous contact between pharmacist and patient, notwithstanding the distance between the kiosk and the operatorâ€™s position.
The Pharmaclick kiosk does not substitute the pharmacist, but it enhances his presence. Pharmaclick allows all citizens to receive pharmacological prescriptions, even in remote areas where the maintenance of a real pharmacy is not economically/practically viable, helping local health-care authorities in their monitoring of citizens' needs and health care expenditure.
Return on investment
Return on investment: Not applicable / Not available
Lesson 1 - Need to define the right target stakeholders
Lesson 2 - Need to understand and follow the local regulations on drug dispensing
Lesson 3 - Need to share this innovative service with Health Authorities, local Municipalities and Pharmacists