Enabling Digital Government through Geospatial Data and Location Intelligence
What is ELISE and what is this action about?
Location information underpins policy assessment, digital services and applications for public administrations, businesses and citizens. However, interoperability barriers hinder the optimal performance of underlying ICT systems and obstruct the creation of economic value from location information.
To address this need, the European Location Interoperability Solutions for e-Government (ELISE) Action is a package of legal/policy, organisational, semantic and technical interoperability solutions that aim to facilitate more efficient and effective digital cross-border or cross-sector interaction and data re-use in the domain of location information and services.
Get to know more on ELISE in the ISA2 official website.
Why the focus on "Location"?
Location data is digital data that represent the geographical location and characteristics of natural or man-made features, phenomena and boundaries of the Earth. Geodata represent abstractions of real-world entities, such as roads, buildings, vehicles, lakes, forests and countries.
- Facilitates data integration
- Allows taking data-driven decisions based on where and why things happen
- Eases communication through intuitive map representations
- Enables visualisation of sophisticated modelsand simulations
ELISE aims to break down barriers and promote a coherent and consistent approach to the sharing and reuse of location data across sectors and borders, in the context of the digital transformation of public services.
Check out ELISE contents
Benefits delivered through ELISE include:
- Cost and time savings by re-using cost-efficient solutions and avoiding duplicated or unnecessary effort, e.g. in data procurement, application development and service delivery.
- More effective and usable public digital services, through sharing best practices, fostering collaboration, and highlighting optimal business models, processes and technologies.
- Financial benefits for private sector companies in re-using public sector location data and participating in joint initiatives.
- Better support to the Policy Lifecycle and analysis through cohesive application of location information at the early policy stages.
- Improved spatial awareness and analytical skills for Organisation to make best use of available data.
- Become a member of the ELISE space by first registering in JoinUp
- Know all the ELISE news and ELISE events
- Follow us on twitter at @EUlocation and Youtube
- Write to us at EU-LOCATION@ec.europa.eu