The Cartography Tool (CarTool©) brings together high level support for the EIRA© as a plug-in for the popular ArchiMate® modelling tool Archi®. It includes both editing features, to model solutions using the EIRA©, and querying features to query an EIRA©-based Cartography of solutions.
What can I use it for?
The main purpose of the CarTool© is to be instrumental in creating and maintaining a Cartography of solutions using the EIRA© as its structure. The CarTool© can be used by architects, analysts and portfolio managers in European and National public administrations for the following purposes:
- ICT solution development: to design new solutions based on the EIRA© and its SATs, making use of existing, reusable solutions and proposed interoperability standards.
- New legislative proposals: to assess ICT implications of policy changes by searching related solutions in the solutions’ Cartography.
- Public procurement: to define tender specifications based on proposed standards, and use of specific building blocks.
- Portfolio management: to assist in managing and rationalising a solution portfolio, and comparing its solutions’ architectures.
What are the CarTool’s benefits?
The CarTool© responds to a key demand from Member States to have a tool with which they can model their solutions based on the EIRA©, and to implement their National Cartographies following the EIRA©’s structure. In support of this, key benefits that the CarTool© brings are:
- It is a free of charge plug-in designed to be used in the, also free of charge, open source, Archi® tool.
- It does not require special permissions or prerequisites for its installation.
- If offers first class support for the EIRA© and simplifies the EIRA©’s use in both the modelling of new solutions and the querying of existing ones.
- It promotes reuse by making suggestions based on what you are modelling.
- It enhances data quality by minimising manual work and ensuring consistency.
- It allows offline use and customisation so that you can tailor it to your working needs.
- It helps you stay up to date with the latest EIRA© version and Cartography updates.
The current version of the CarTool is Cartography Tool 5.0.0
This release consists of the following release components:
- CarTool_logo_v1_0_0.zip; CarTool© logo, which can be used for creating a desktop icon
- CarTool_v5_0_0_release_notes.pdf; the release notes of this release.
- CarTool_v5_0_0_user_guide.pdf; a PDF document containing an introduction to the CarTool©, including its description, installation, an overview of features and how to use them, as well as the relation between the EIRA©, the Cartography and SATs.
- eu.europa.ec.eira.cartool_5.0.0.v20220209-1746-public; the plugin to be installed.
- ISA Product License v1.4; the product licence.
- CarTool_v5_0_0.zip; an archive containing each of the above-mentioned files.
The CarTool v5.0.0 plugin has been tested with Archi® version 4.9.2. This version plugin will not work with any version lower than 4.9.2 and with the latest version of Archi®. If you have an Archi® earlier version to 4.9.2, please, upgrade to it.
Please read the user guide for installation instructions.
Upgrading from previous versions of CarTool
There is no automatic update from 4.1.0 to the current version. Recent CarTool releases work with a newer version of the Archi software and need to be installed manually. Any settings and references to models will need to be reconfigured in the new installation. Please read the user guide for installation instructions.