The FOSS4G-IT conference is a four-day event organised by the Polytechnic University of Turin, the Italian Association for Free Geographical Information GFOSS.it and Wikimedia Italia. FOSS4G-IT brings together communities using geographical open data and open source software to foster knowledge exchange and create networking opportunities.
The conference will take place in the city of Turin, from the 18th to the 22nd of February.
What is the FOSS4G-IT 2020 conference?
The FOSS4G-IT 2020 conference is a four-day event organised jointly by the Polytechnic University of Turin, the Italian Association for Free Geographical Information GFOSS.it and Wikimedia Italia. FOSS4G-it 2020 brings together different communities that use free geographic data and free and open source software. The event aims at:
- Presenting experiences of the use of free and open source data and software for the treatment of geographic information;
- Creating opportunities for discussion and exchange of knowledge between professional users, users of the central and local public administration, developers and producers of geographic data;
- Presenting the developments and the potential of open source projects in a geographical context concerning all areas of interest (cultural heritage, natural and man-made dangers, etc.);
- Presenting the latest geographic software projects and discussing the development prospects of the communities that revolve around them.
Registration for the event is currently available online and free of charge. Please note that the participation to workshops costs 10 euros, discounts apply.
The programme, available online, includes numerous workshops, lightning talks and presentations on geographical data and software. The conference covers, among others, the following topics:
- Projects for the sharing and enhancement of geodata
- FOSS implementation in strategic sectors
- Software status and new project developments
- Community and participatory FOSS4G
As it was the case during previous editions, FOSS4G-IT 2020 will be preceded by two days dedicated to workshops for practical introduction to FOSS4G systems, while for the duration of the event there will be space for Community Sprint of free projects for software development, translation activities and more.
The organising committee is composed of a local group that refers to the Polytechnic of Turin and to the volunteers of the associations involved in the event.
More questions about the event?