Format issue (release 1.00)

20/12/2012

Dear vocabulary developers,

I hope this is the right place to address this..?

My ontology editor (Topbraid Composer) needs an incredible amount of time (> 20mins) to open the RDF files that were provided in the Core Location Vocabulary. This might be caused by the fact that these RDF files contain elements that are not RDF native syntax and that the file was not created with an ontology editor but with some generalistic XML model design tool? (This is my assumption).

I hope this will be fixed in the next release.

Otherwise fantastic work, I would very much like to use these vocabularies if this issue is addressed.

Thanks, Lieke

PS: I tested also with Protege 3.4.7, works fine, no problems here...

PS2: I have attached image of TBC screen when opening Locn RDF. It says it is importing, but I think it is converting things

PS3: after the eventual loading the Locn v1.00 in TBC (Standard edition) and saving it, the tool has created native RDF from it (this file is attached too, please remove the txt extension for use, this was added for allowing upload)

 

 

 

 

Component

Code

Category

support

Comments

Mon, 07/01/2013 - 09:56

Thanks for your interest in the Core Location Vocabulary. There seems  nothing wrong with the RDF Schema - at least we managed to  successfully import it in OpenLink Virtuoso and Jena.

We believe that what might go wrong is the following. The Core Location RDF Schema reuses a number of concepts, properties and relationships from other vocabularies. For example, dcterms:Location (http://purl.org/dc/terms/Location). Topbraid Composer will try import the missing namespace documents (e.g. http://purl.org/dc/terms/) by getting them directly from the Web. This might take a while, especially if you do not have internet connection (or your local firewall does not allow Topbraid Composer to go through). Luckily, it is  possible to cancel Topbraid Composer while it is searching for "missing imports".  In this case, the RDF Schema will be correctly imported in Composer, but the additional namespace documents will not. Other users seem to have had similar issues with this feature in Composer:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/topbraid-users/TaT9…

Do you think this solves your issue?

Do not hesitate to report other difficulties that you experience while working with the Core Location Vocabulary. We would also love to hear about any implementations of the vocabulary. Currently, we are  running a Linked Data pilot with Belgian national and regional address registers.

 

Thu, 07/02/2013 - 10:04

Dear Stijn,

Thank you for your kind answer and suggestion to solve this issue. Funny how the tools have different behaviour (Protege worked fine). I just wanted to point this out since TBC is a very popular tool (I did have good network access..;-)  ).

We are running a Linked Data Pilot in the Netherlands too: http://www.geonovum.nl/dossiers/linkedopendata/  I will inform the participants of your initiative.!

Indeed we will be using and testing the ISA vocabularies during the pilot and inform you of the outcome.

Best wishes, Lieke

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.