The aim of ADMS.F/OSS is not only to help people find useful software, but also to assess whether it is useful for them.
we could use a number of metrics to describe a software asset:
- nr. downloads,
- nr of installations (on Joinup, this is done by sending out an automatic survey 2 weeks after someone downloads a software to ask whether it was installed)
- nr. of users
- nr of commits (to discuss whether this should be an absolut nr., or average number over a period...)
- nr. of lines of code (this is to assess the size of the software - from this we can also estimate how long would it take to re-do the work). If this is taken on board, it needs to be decided how this is calculated. E.g. sum of all releases / average of all releases / only last release?
we could also use a number of metrics to describe a software project:
- nr. of members (perhaps number of developers, nr. of ther roles)
- nr. of content (e.g. documents, blog entries, news, events, anything -to show how active is the community)