With this update, Norway complies with version 1.1 of the DCAT Application profile.
The DCAT Application profile for data portals in Europe (DCAT-AP) is a specification based on W3C’s Data Catalogue vocabulary (DCAT) for describing public sector datasets in Europe. It is mostly used to enable a cross-data portal search for data sets, and consequently make public sector data better discoverable. This can be achieved by the exchange of descriptions of data sets, or metadata, among data portals.
DCAT-AP-NO is the customised specification of the DCAT-AP for data portals in Europe, implemented by the government of Norway. Due to the recent update of DCAT-AP to version 1.1, it was recommended to also update DCAT-AP-NO to keep it evolving in parallel. Last September, DCAT-AP-NO version 1.1 was approved by the national standardisation board of Norway as a recommended standard for public organizations.
The main changes to the specification are the following:
Changes to existing elements:
- Dataset:publisher is changed to mandatory and the usage note altered to encourage the use of URIs;
- Dataset:theme is changed to mandatory. An additional national vocabulary is added as recommended in the usage note;
- Dataset:identifier is changed to mandatory and must now be globally unique;
- Dataset:spatial - Restricted usage note and MDR are removed.
- Distribution:format – Card. changed from 0..1 to 1..n. This element became mandatory to avoid repeating distribution for APIs delivering more than one format;
- Distribution:format – IANA media type values have to be used. Formats not in the IANA media type list are to be added as strings following the same structure;
- Distribution:mediaType is removed as Distribution:format is considered to cover the needs.
The elements added to the specification 1.1 are the following:
- Agent:Organization, an ID to be able to refer to an unique identifier (by using the national company register IDs);
- Dataset:AccessRightsComment, a reference (URIs) to the legal grounds for classifying a dataset as restricted or non-public. Range is skos:Concept;
- Dataset:Concept (dct:subject), References (URIs) to definitions of the main constituents of the dataset. Range is skos:Concept;
- Dataset:Creator, the creator of the dataset;
- More relations added as optional properties: dct:isPartOf/hasPart, dct:requires/isRequiredBy, dct:replaces/isReplacedBy.