Invoice message (INVOIC) to be used in Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) between trading partners involved in administration, comerce and transport
1.1 Functional definition
A message claiming payment for goods or services supplied under
conditions agreed between the seller and the buyer.
The United Nations Standard Invoice Message, with correct data
qualification, serves also as the specification for Debit Note
and Credit Note messages. Throughout this document, the
reference to 'Invoice' may be interpreted as conveying the
wider meaning of 'Invoice/Credit Note/Debit Note'.
1.2 Field of application
The Invoice message may be used for both national and
international applications. It is based on universal practice
related to administration, commerce and transport, and is not
dependent on the type of business or industry.
- A seller may invoice for one or more transactions
- An invoice may refer to goods, items or services related to
one or more orders, delivery instructions, call-offs, etc.
- An invoice may contain references to payment terms
- An invoice for cross border transactions may contain
additional information for customs and/or statistical
- An invoice may contain transport details.