gvSIG is a Geographic Information System (GIS), that is, a desktop application designed for capturing, storing, handling, analyzing and deploying any kind of referenced geographic information in order to solve complex management and planning problems.
gvSIG is known for having a user-friendly interface, being able to access the most common formats, both vector and raster ones. It features a wide range of tools for working with geographic-like information (query tools, layout creation, geoprocessing, networks, etc.), which turns gvSIG into the ideal tool for users working in the land realm.
gvSIG is known for:
- integrating in the same view both local and remote data through OGC standards.
- being designed to be easily extendable, allowing continous application enhancement, as well as enabling the development of tailor-made solutions.
- being open source software, under GNU/GPL license, which allows its free use, distribution, study and improvement.
- being available in several languages (Spanish, English, German, French, Italian,...)
- being developed using Java, and being available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X platforms