Building a people-oriented information society is a joined effort that requires cooperation and partnership between all stakeholders. The Mazowieckie Voivodeship carries out this task through the GATE of MAZOVIA portal (https://www.wrotamazowsza.pl/pl/). It is an public access platform providing e-services of public administration. The portal consists three components:
- The Masovian Spatial Information System (MSIP) takes the role of an integrator of spatial data in Mazovia, also is an element of spatial information infrastructure and provides universal access to spatial information via the Internet using the Mazowieckie Voivodship Portal Portal available at https://msip.wrotamazowsza.pl. The Map Portal of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship covers over 680 information layers of an interactive map grouped in 27 thematic categories. It is integrated with 243 nodes of spatial information infrastructure in which spatial data services are provided. The portal enables the sharing of data and information in accordance with the assumptions of the information society and is available to all local government structures, government administration units, various types of state and public services as well as citizens and entrepreneurs.
- The website Monitoring the Development of Mazovia is dedicated to the monitoring of social, economic and spatial changes in the Mazowieckie voivodship, divided into subregions, communes and districts / counties in long time series. 60 indicators showing the level of development of the region are presented on interactive maps. The service is the result of cooperation between three institutions: the Marshal's Office of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship, Statistical Office in Warsaw and the project team "Development Trends of Mazovia" from the Mazovian Regional Planning Office in Warsaw. The data that served to build it come from the Statistical Office in Warsaw and the Department of Digitization, Geodesy and Cartography of the Marshal's Office. The website is addressed to all Internet users, not only from Mazovia. It can be useful for individuals using data from indicators of socio-economic development on a daily basis, especially representatives of local governments, business sector, education and science (science, universities, research and development units) and business environment institutions and NGOs.
- e-Office, through which citizens, entrepreneurs and public institutions can contact the office electronically and receive a reply (decision) on an electronically submitted application or letter, also with the possibility of using the mobile version of the portal.
In addition, services offered by e-Office component are divided into services for citizens, entrepreneurs and for institutions and offices, which increases transparency and facilitates the use of the portal. Citizens also have the possibility of using the mobile version of the portal.
The regional part of the system, which is managed by the Mazowieckie Voivodeship, apart from being a site of citizen contact with the office, also provides a set of shared services dedicated to public administration units (communes and districts / counties) from the Mazovia region, which are interested in using solutions developed by Mazowieckie Voivodeship (together with those Partners). The most important elements of this part of the system are:
- Local Certification Center for devices and systems (which serves to increase the level of security of communication and data exchange);
- a system of distributing patches and updates of installed software using the Software Distribution System, which also enables management of client's operating systems and applications installed on servers;
- regional ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) - data bus ensuring communication and integration of individual components of the e-Office system, as well as communication of relevant e-Office components with external ICT systems, in particular with the ePUAP platform (governmental service);
- regional repository of processes - enabling storing and versioning of parameterized patterns of business processes. As part of this repository, it is possible to either define any individual process by each of the Partners, or use already existing processes by adjusting them to the rules applicable to individual Partners. This solution ensures standardization of processes related to the implementation of cases in all units as well as gives the opportunity to use once created mechanism by many Partners;
- the central directory services server (LDAP), enabling, among others, managing the accounts of all system users, configuring user's system settings, access rights, and configuring application permissions.
On the regional platform, nearly 1500 services were provided to public administration units of the Mazovia, out of which unique electronic forms were prepared for over 1200 services. Access to these services is universal and free. The assumption is that the data available via e-services are to be in a form that, if law permits, allows their further use. As a result of the use of electronic forms and descriptions of services by communes and districts / counties, residents, entrepreneurs, public institutions and other interested parties were given the opportunity to make extensive use of services provided electronically by public administration.
The GATE OF MAZOVIA portal also has electronic mailboxes for all Partners. After the integration box has been integrated with the Office's Electronic Document Management system, each of the Partners has a complete tool for electronic communication with citizens at level 4, defined as full service, that is, the ability to perform all activities necessary to resolve an official matter electronically - from obtaining information by filling out the appropriate form, sending a completed document after submitting the electronic signature, until the required fees have been paid and obtaining a formal permit, certificate or other document for which the person / company is applying. The portal ensures bilateral contact and exchange of documents on the line Citizen - Office, also provides the service of deliveries (official confirmation of dispatch, official confirmation of receipt) in a way consistent with applicable law.
The local part of the system particularly consists:
- Electronic Document Management module providing support for electronic and paper documents, circulation of correspondence and matters within the office using workflow mechanisms, archiving documents and exchanging documents with other IT systems and applications;
- the module of the Spatial Localization of Letters and Cases - enabling linking a letter / case supported in the Electronic Document Management system or a domain system with an object in the geographical space (spatial location) to which the letter / case refers;
- fee and payment registration module - a local component of the electronic payment subsystem, enabling, among others, collecting information on payments made by customers, registering emerging receivables, binding payments and receivables, and sharing information on related payments and receivables;
- local Enterprise Service Bus - a data bus that provides communication and integration of systems and applications at the local level;
- OCR - a module enabling optical recognition of text on documents stored in graphic form and conversion of these documents to text files;
- business process module, enabling customization of business processes downloaded from the regional repository to the requirements and organizational structure of the office and the creation of new processes;
- local directory services server;
- backup system (making backup copies);
- the local part of the Software Distribution System, providing management of operating systems and applications as well as local installation of prepared software packages (updates, patches).
Furthermore, the Mazowieckie Voivodship has implemented unified applications throughout the region (Domain Systems):
- real estate registration system (272 implementations);
- public procurement system (282 implementations);
- system of service for the district / commune council (281 implementations);
- historical treasures and monuments registration system (257 implementations);
- system of permissions for the sale of alcohol (242 implementations);
- system of records of permits for the location in the road lane and the occupation of a road lane (274 implementations);
- municipal waste management system (109 implementations).
At the current stage, further applications are being implemented:
- system for communication with residents,
- system for cooperation with NGOs,
- system for social consultations,
and are being prepared:
- education management system,
- system for information and promotion management.
The adopted architectural concept uses technologies such as:
- Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) - architecture combines elements such as databases, servers and websites organized in services that can be used together by the client, offering a higher level of software support. Such a model can be additionally extended, for example another office or its organizational unit can join the cooperation using its own software with its own services.
- Virtualization - individual applications and system components, both in the front-office and back-office parts, use virtual machine environments with allocated physical resources.
Elements of the ICT infrastructure, located at individual Partners (communes and districts / counties), are connected with the regional infrastructure using secure VPN (Virtual Private Network) network connections, creating a distributed dedicated social cloud. The assumptions made regarding the use of the cloud concept provide a number of benefits, both for the public administration units of the voivodeship and for citizens.
The last, but probably the most important aspect of the implementation of the described activities is the partnership character resulting from the voluntary and active participation of 314 public administration units in the Mazowsze region (communes and counties/districts). The development of a solution at the level of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship and its subsequent implementation in communes and districts / counties generates a number of benefits:
- providing more efficient and effective services and reducing the costs of implemented solutions;
- improvement of links between the office and entrepreneur-citizen;
- increasing the transparency of the functioning of public administration and the development of a data-based economy by providing information to citizens and entrepreneurs;
- increase in the use of ICT by society and effective increase of citizens' involvement in decision-making concerning regional and local policies;
- strengthening cooperation and exchange of experience between institutions in the area of ICT implementation for development.
The concept of described activities enforces durability, both through Partners' declarations and the actual maintenance of e-services due to their growing popularity among residents and entrepreneurs. The functioning of the GATE OF MAZOVIA homogeneous platform will contribute to reducing the digital divide between less developed and more developed territories, through uniform access to e-services and open data for all citizens, regardless of their place of residence and life situation. The introduction of electronic systems for contact with residents, social consultations and other will encourage residents to be included in decisions taken by local authorities and affect the development of civil society, as well as ensure greater and lasting transparency and efficiency of the institution. What's more, these activities will contribute to consolidate cooperation between public administration at various levels and initiate further actions in the area of development of the information society.