Sentilo is an open source sensor and actuator platform designed to fit in the Smart City architecture of any city who looks for openness and easy interoperability. It’s built, used, and supported by an active and diverse community of cities and companies that believe that using open standards and free software is the first smart decision a Smart City should take.
It was started in Novemeber 2012 by the Barcelona City Council as a project for its Smart City project called CityOS, with the collaboration of other cities and companies.
In order to avoid vertical solutions, Sentilo is designed as a cross platorm with the objective of sharing information between heterogeneous systems and to easily integrate legacy applications.
The following features are provided with Sentilo:
- A front-end for message processing, with a simple REST API
- A administration console for configure the systrem and manage the catalog
- A memory database, aimed to acomplish high performance rates
- A non-SQL database, in order to get a more flexible and scalable system
- A universal viewer, provided as a public demo what can be used as a start point for specific business visualizers.
- A basic statistics module that records and display basic platform performance indicators.
- An extensible component architecture, to enlarge the platform funcionality without modifying the core system. Sentilo starts with an initial set of agents: one for exporting data to relational databases and another to process internal alarms based on basic rules
Sentilo can be downloaded from the following Github repository: https://github.com/sentilo/sentilo