ATLEC (Assistive Technology Learning Through a Unified Curriculum - www.atlec-project.eu) is currently conducting a European survey on the training and usage of assistive technologies (AT).
ATLEC focuses on training people with disabilities in being aware of and being able to use assistive technologies, whilst also creating the job profile of an ICT AT trainer, therefore giving people with disabilities another route into employment or self-employment.
Recent surveys with AT users and specialists throughout Europe have highlighted and confirmed that the lack of appropriate or sufficient training is the core barrier towards using AT by end-users. This lack of training is subsequently also recognised as the main barrier to securing or maintaining employment within a regular working environment.
A number of training initiatives exist but they mainly address training of the trainers and professionals working with people with disabilities, and not the actual beneficiaries (people with disabilities), who remain largely unaware of the huge range of available ICT-AT or of the potential it provides for them to build their skills, their employability or their independence.
To better grasp the problems with current training practices (or the lack of), we launched a survey that is targeted towards:
- Parent / Carer / Personal Assistant of a person with a disability
- Support Organisation representing people with disabilities
- Educator (Teacher/Further Education or VET Trainer/Higher Education Tutor)
- AT Provider (e.g. manufacturer, distributor, occupational therapist, etc.)
- Policy Maker (for education, disability, employment).
The survey focuses on the AT training that is available and aims to gather feedback on the quality of the training. The online survey can be found at:
- English - http://www.phoenixkm.eu/survey//index.php?sid=48879&lang=en
- Dutch - http://www.phoenixkm.eu/survey//index.php?sid=48879&lang=nl
- Greek - http://www.phoenixkm.eu/survey//index.php?sid=48879&lang=el
- Italian - http://www.phoenixkm.eu/survey//index.php?sid=48879&lang=it
If interested to participate, please complete the online survey.
Thank you in advance for your contribution.
ATLEC project team:
Oak Field School, Nottingham (UK)
PhoenixKM BVBA (Belgium)
Disability Now (Greece)
Associazione Italiana Assistenza Spastici (A.I.A.S) (Italy)
University Of Athens (Greece)
Greenhat Interactive Ltd (UK)
The ATLEC (Assistive Technology Learning Through A Unified Curriculum – 518229-LLP-1-2011-1-UK-LEONARDO-LMP) project has been partially funded under the Lifelong Learning program. This communication reflects the views only of the author(s), and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
City/Location: Kortemark, Belgium