This page describes version 3.0.0 of the DCAT-AP, which is the latest release of the DCAT Application Profile for data portals in Europe (DCAT-AP).
This current version of DCAT-AP 3.0.0 is fully aligned and compatible with the working draft of DCAT 3.
In order to increase the maturity of the specification, we invite you to provide feedback during a public review period. The review period will last until 30 September 2023 after which all feedback will be integrated.
Some changes to the specification we would like to highlight are:
- The specification is now released as HTML using the ReSpec style.
- The descriptive texts from 2.1.1 were separated into definitions and usage notes.
- All relevant classes and properties were aligned with and linked to their equivalent in DCAT 3.
- In order to enhance the readability all entities have been rearranged into: Main Entities, Supportive Entities and Datatypes.
- The classes Dataset Series and Dataset member of a Dataset Series were added.
- The deprecations from DCAT 3.0 were applied by replacing the mapping to the URIs for the impacted properties.
Additionally various changes were applied to solve issues and align with DCAT 3.0 an overview of those can be found in the consolidated changelog.
The DCAT Application Profile for data portals in Europe (DCAT-AP) is a specification based on W3C's Data Catalogue vocabulary (DCAT) for describing public sector datasets in Europe. Its basic use case is to enable a cross-data portal search for datasets and make public sector data better searchable across borders and sectors. This can be achieved by the exchange of descriptions of data sets among data portals.
The specification of the DCAT-AP was a joint initiative of DG CONNECT, the EU Publications Office and the Interoperable Europe Programme. The specification was elaborated by a multi-disciplinary Working Group with representatives from 16 European Member States, some European Institutions and the US.