About PM² and the Open PM² Initiative
PM² is a Project Management Methodology developed and supported by the European Commission. Its purpose is to enable project teams to manage their projects effectively and deliver solutions and benefits to their organisations and stakeholders. PM² is a light and easy to implement methodology suitable for any type of project. PM² has been custom developed to fit the specific needs, culture and constraints of EU Institutions, but also incorporates elements from globally accepted best practices, standards and methodologies.
• A Project Governance Model (i.e. roles & responsibilities)
• A Project Lifecycle (i.e. project phases)
• A set of Processes (i.e. project management activities)
• A set of Project Artefacts (i.e. templates and guidelines).
• A set of Mindsets (i.e. effective beliefs and behaviours).
Open PM² provides open access to the PM² Project Methodology to all EU Institutions, Contractors, Member States and EU Citizens. Opening PM² significantly contributes towards the increase in project management maturity within the European Union serving the needs of its stakeholders. It helps establish a common PM language/process for projects within and across Institutions, increase effectiveness, collaboration effiency and success in the coordination of projects in EU. In addition, it is an important strategic initiative which will allow the EU community of Project Managers to help the PM² Methodology evolve and enrich the offering with additional best practices and examples.
Key deliverables of the Open PM² Initiative include:
- PM² Certification Exams available via PROMETRIC across EU-28 (available to EU Institutions Staff only).
- PM² Guide - Open Edition available through the EU Bookshop.
- PM² Methodology Wiki available through EU Login.
- Establishment of an EU-wide Project Support Network (PSN) [a network of local Project Support Ofices (PSOs)] which will be coordinated and supported by the the EC's Center of Excellence in PM² (CoEPM²).
The PM² Guide - Open Edition is published with a full share and reuse licence, and is positioned to become an open source project management methodology. This means that reproduction and reuse is authorised provided the source is acknowledged.
More information about the Open PM² Initiative can be found on the Open PM² wiki http://europa.eu/!Gu76mr (EU Login account required).
The PM² Guide - Open Edition is available through the EU Bookshop:
ISBN 978-92-79-63872-5 | doi: 10.2799/957700
Stay informed of the latest news and receive the Methodology updates. Register here: https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/runner/openpm2-contact
© European Union, 2016
Reproduction and reuse of the PM² Guide - Open Edition is authorised provided the source is acknowledged.
The PM² logo is the property of the European Union and may not be registered as a trademark or otherwise, nor used separately from these documents. Neither the publication nor the logo can be used in a way which suggests endorsement of an external organisation by the European Union.