The management of public lighting often represents a challenge for most of the Local Administrations in terms of costly energy bills, inefficient maintenance and lost opportunities to offer additional services to the citizens reusing public lighting infrastructures (e.g., Wi-Fi hot spots).
Some facts and figures related to the situation in Italy:
- 9 million light points estimated in the whole country, of which a large part is below the efficiency threshold;
- 5995 GWh is their estimated annual energy consumption (referred to 2018);
- 40-60% is the estimated energy saving ratio, considering only the upgrading of the installations (LED);
- 60-70% is the estimated energy saving ratio, considering adaptive remote management.
PELL(Public Energy Living Lab) project being gradually implemented by 8.000+ Italian Municipalities, has made it possible to create, through the definition of a specific data model, a digital platform for the structured and harmonised collection of the georeferenced identity data of the Public Lighting for each Municipality.
Launched in July 2019, PELL has collected 80.788 light points thanks to 13 Italian Municipalities that have joined the platform.
Moreover, PELL implementation represents also a solution to reorganise and modernise the management processes and the entire decision support system in the public lighting sector. This platform will also allow to provide services based on public lighting infrastructures (e.g., Wi-Fi hot spots, cameras).
The webinar aims to share best practice of digital platform for the smart management of infrastructures being currently implemented at national level, but easily reusable in other countries.
- An overview of ELISE Energy & Location Applications
- ENEA PELL Project for the innovation of the management processes of strategic urban infrastructures
- ENEA PELL Project: an innovative platform for the digital management of the public lighting infrastructure
- PELL data model
From this webinar, different stakeholder groups may benefit:
- Local Administrations interested to understand how to reduce the energy bills and the maintenance costs related to public lighting.
- Regional/National Administrations interested to understand how to adopt a digital platform for the smart management of public lighting in a public procurement context.
- Companies working in the energy efficiency sector, interested to increase their competitiveness, thanks to the use of a common digital platform for public lighting.
- Professionals willing to reskill/upskill regarding the use of the digital platform for public lighting.
- Citizens, interested to understand how, by PELL, the public lighting infrastructures and services can be improved and innovated (e.g., Wi-Fi hot spots, cameras).
This webinar is a part of a series of "Webinars and events" performed by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre under the ELISE ISA² Action. These webinars aim to quickly engage with new topics of relevance to the location interoperability, the digital transformation of government and socio-technical developments in this arena and to share the results and outcomes of ELISE action.
The webinar will take place on 20/05/2021 at 14h00 CEST (UTC+2).
If you are interested in this webinar, do not hesitate to register by clicking on the following button. You will receive a confirmation email with the instructions on how to join this webinar.
If you cannot join, register anyway, we will send you both the slides and the recording of the session.
After the webinar, you will be able to find here both the recording and the supporting slides of this webinar.
If you are interested in knowing more about ELISE Webinars you can find further information here.