Background and scope
This ELISE action activity supports the European Commission's AI Watch Knowledge for policy service to monitor the development, uptake and impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Europe, launched in December 2018 as part of the Coordinated Plan on the Development and Use of AI Made in Europe.
ELISE has focused its contribution on the impact that Artificial Intelligence has on the public sector.
This research is done from different angles and methodologies and delivered in the form of reports and journal papers.
Check out the studied areas and their related outcomes in the next section.
Outcomes of the research
1. Landscaping Artificial Intelligence Use for Government in the EU
- Expert support has been provided to contribute the work of the JRC AI Watch research team to landscaping the current state of the art in the field and conduct case studies on the use and added value of AI-enabled innovations in the public sector. These activities have served as input to the first AI Watch mapping of AI use and impact in public services [Read the AI Watch report]
- A side paper around the transformative impact of chatbots in public service has contributed to this field of research too. [Read the paper]
2. Artificial Intelligence Governance in the Public Sector
- This study considers the governance implications and practices related to the uptake of AI in the public sector. [Read the paper]
- The Use of AI in Public Services: Results from a Preliminary Mapping Across the EU [Access the research article]
3. Social and economic impacts of AI in Public Services
- This study aims to develop a methodology to assess the social and economic impacts of AI to support public services and identify opportunities, threats, key enablers, and barriers for implementation. The activity will consider relevant examples and available practices to identify the most promising public services using AI in the EU Member States. [Coming soon]
- Evaluating the impact of artificial intelligence technologies in public services: towards an assessment framework [Access the research article]
4. Expert Consultation and Stakeholder Engagement
- 1st Peer Learning Workshop on the use and impact of AI in public services
This report presents a summary of the proceedings of the 1st AI WATCH Peer Learning Workshop on AI use and impact in public services, which took in Brussels on 11-12 February 2020. [Read the report]
- 2nd Peer Learning Workshop on the use and impact of AI in public services
This report summarises the proceedings of the 2nd AI WATCH Peer Learning Workshop on AI use and impact in public services, which took place virtually on the 29th of September 2020. [Read the report]
- 3rd Peer Learning Workshop on the use and impact of AI in public services
This report summarises the proceedings of the 3rd AI WATCH Peer Learning Workshop on AI use and impact in public services, which took place virtually on the 24th of June 2021. [Read the report . Download workshop presentations here]
Scientific & Technical Lead: Francesco PIGNATELLI
AI Watch: is the European Commission Knowledge for policy initiative monitoring Artificial Intelligence in Europe. It provides a number of analyses necessary to monitor and facilitate the European Strategy for AI implementation. More specifically, AI WATCH monitors:
- the industrial, technological and research capacity,
- policy initiatives in the Member States
- the uptake and technical developments of Artificial Intelligence and
- its impact on the economy, society and public services.
[More info here].